Monday 18 March 2013

The relentless rain, hail and snow

  I got to my parents at 9.30pm on Saturday and after Dad made me some yummy seafood pasta I was in bed as early as possible in preparation for the 4.45am wake up for the Duathlon the next day. However, I was still cleaning the mud off my trainers at midnight, oh how my Saturday nights have changed! This change of lifestyle was also evident on Friday night when Dan and I were watching the drunken revelers going to the pub next door while we fitted the bike rack to my car.
My yummy pre-race fuel
  When I finally got to sleep after sorting all my kit out I realised I only had just under 5 hours sleep before I needed to wake up. When my alarm went off before 5am I wished it wasn't true. I decided to not bother with an unnecessary shower as I would be getting wet and sweaty anyway so touched the snooze button gaining an extra 10 minutes in bed. I always find this theory very strange as in the grand scheme of things, what is 10 minutes going to do? Anyway, I was so worried about oversleeping and missing the event I was up and ready by 5.15. I had my trusty pre-race breakfast of porridge with two teaspoons of sugar and a banana. This amount is perfect for me and even before a longer event I don't think I could stomach anymore. I wasn't even nervous before the Duathlon and that was all I could manage, so I have no chance of fitting anymore in when I really am nervous. When chatting about pre-race nutrition with the Chiltern Tri members everyone has a different method that they swear by and I have not found anyone with the same as me. The key is to stick to your method when you find one that works for you. So with my small amount of pre-race nutrition not budging Dan says I need to load up more the day before, so I will try that before my next event in 3 weeks, my first triathlon of the year in my home town Andover.

  My Dad, naturally, wasn't awake when I left at 5.30 so I said goodbye to my lovely dog Harry and I was on my way to Winchester. Apart from the race details having the wrong postcode on I got there OK and on time for once! I may have finally conquered my event stress-out and can only put this down to prior preparation (I probably did this more than normal as I was on my own this time). I registered and racked my bike with no problems. For once I didn't forget anything.
  The one thing that could not be ignored today was the weather. I had expected it to be bad but this was horrendous. It was relentless rain which throughout the race turned to hail and snow. Everything and everyone was soaked before we had started and the run route had to be changed as otherwise it would've been a Triathlon not a Duathlon. The bad weather (and possibly the ridiculously early start) meant that almost 50% of the competitors DNS (did not start). This also meant that there was only a small group of 100 people taking part in the longer distance. These small events are what I like to avoid as there is a greater chance of me coming last as the majority of people taking part are men and have been doing these sorts of events for a years. Despite these worries I eyed up the competition and put myself nearer the back of the pack, where the small collection of women had placed themselves. I had a chat with some people who were expressing that we must be mad to be doing this. It was there that I realised this event was some peoples 'A' race whereas mine was a lot tougher and in 3 months time.
  We started at 7.06am and knew from the Bath half marathon I did well when I didn't get caught up in the moment and went off too fast runners with the quicker runners. This can affect a your race a lot more than what you would think. So despite being worried about being last I just hung back and stuck to my own pace, something that paid off. Within half a mile the majority of people who had got 'caught in the moment' were slacking meaning I ran straight past them. I ended up placing myself behind two men who I didn't lose sight of and wasn't overtaken throughout the two laps of the run course.
  Once the run was over it was onto the bike. I had a fairly slow transition of 1m44 but it wasn't disastrous. I began cycling with a guy whose Boardman bike I was jealous of. He then told me he was drunk, which I assumed he meant as a joke meaning that he must be drunk to be doing what he was doing so I laughed his comment off. He just reiterated it explaining he was serious. I hung back from him as I didn't fancy his sick or himself falling onto me. (He ended up pulling away pretty quick once he sorted his gears and didn't see him or his nice bike again, although I did see a police van follow him so maybe he was stopped). This did also make me think that less than a year ago it wouldn't be unlikely for me to still be out drinking at this time with my girlfriends.
  The cycle started with a lovely 12% hill incline. We were warned in the race briefing that we would need every gear off in order to get up and that he wouldn't be suprised if people were walking up it. I know that getting up tough hills on the bike is something I have been working on in preparation for the very hilly half-Ironman in June so was sceptical as I am no mountain goat but also keen to test myself. I needn't have been worried. I was ready for it and had expected the worst so powered up it overtaking everyone in my sight. For once I was going faster than the people who were walking as well as the people cycling. It went on for longer than I had thought and it was hard to keep my pace up to the top but managed it and I got a huge motivation boost when I got there. Despite the hailing winds and hailstones the ride was quite enjoyable, going through small idealic villages and along undisturbed country roads. At about 7 miles I was yet to be overtaken so when I was I was not happy and also not having it. I should've let him have it as his legs looked like Chris Hoy's, but I was being stubborn and competitive today. Luckily for me I was now better at going up hill and as he heard someone breathing heavily behind him he shouted "Well done man", he was shocked when he had to change his statement to "Shit, well done girl!". Unfortunately going downhill is still my weakness due to confidence issues and my brake pad didn't sound great so he overtook me again. This chopping and changing went on all the way back. Around mile 9 when I overtook him again I said "your not making this easy for me". We were constantly on eachothers back and it made me push myself. The course ended on the hill we climbed at the beginning so I naturally slowed right down. He ended up a minute faster than me on the bike but it was all still to play for during the run. Beating him was now my target. This wasn't me trying to be cocky it is just a tactic I use to get me round to the best of my ability. I am sure many people play the game with other competitors of a similar ability (I know he was playing with me too).
  As I entered transition I could see my competition at the other end. I tried to do as quick a transition I could but struggled as someone had taken my spot. This had meant my kit was all over the place and also meant there was little room for my bike. I had no regard for their bike when racking mine away as they had courtesy for my kit. I managed to just about fumble my trainers on, which was a lot harder than normal as they were completely numb from being so cold. I ran past my target just as he was leaving so had already made up the lost time going down hill in transition. I wasn't quite sure how I would run with no feeling in my feet, but it just happened. I let my legs do what they wanted. My target however was hot on my heels, he shouted to me "you should be in pain after what I just did to you on the bike" (sounds quite dodgy written down). Well that comment made it clear to me that I would not let him pass me. I may be a woman but I can ride just as well, potentially better if I could sort my confidence out, and wasn't going to be beaten on the run. I managed to keep a 5 metre gap between us for the first lap but it wasn't secure enough for me, I was worried that he may be able to gain that back. So I must've sped up (not that I could feel it as my feet remained dead until halfway through the second lap). I ended up with a distance between us that I knew he couldn't come back from. I sprinted to the finish in 1hr51m13s and shook my competitors hand as he came in at 1hr52m33s. We spoke when both in transition and we realised we are both competing in the Andover Triathlon in 3 weeks, so depending on whether our swim wave times are similar I will have a very competitive and gruelling bike ride again. However if not with him I will find someone else to play my cat and mouse game with.

Me crossing the line, the grit on my face shows it all 

   All in all I was nowhere near the top of the field but also nowhere near the bottom. (I was in fact the third woman - but there a lot more men so was no amazing feat). I felt comfortable during the race which is a great confidence boost seeing as they are my worst disciplines. I had anticipated 2hours so was happy to be under that, especially as I couldn't time myself during the race as my watch broke. In fact my bike was a pretty good time of 54 minutes which was faster than some of the people who ended up with a faster time overall. Moreover, the event has given me loads of confidence in my bike leg and proves that the training I have done on hill climbing has been worth it (even against someone with legs the size of tree trunks). It also proves that a lot can be made up on the bike and that I have the ability and fitness now to work on that. It has also highlighted that I need to work on my downhill confidence as I cannot afford to put all my energy into getting up a hill and see it go to waste downhill.

  The weather added to the challenge of the event making it a lot more rewarding when I finished but I would not like to have done much longer in it. I was soaking the whole way round and the hailstones when on the bike hurt. Furthermore by the time I got to the run the fields were boggy and slippy. It further confirmed my decision to do my Ironman abroad. I have bad circulation as it is and especially hate having cold feet. The bike leg for me would be the worst in those conditions and doing 112 mile bike ride in them would be miserable and very de-motivational.

  I had finished the event by 9am, probably before the majority of the UK are awake on a Sunday morning. I finally managed to put my bike on my bike rack after a massive struggle. I think anyone could tell that I normally have a man doing it for me, but being the stubborn bitch I am didn't want to give into that mentality today. When I got some senses back into my hands I looked at my phone. My Dad was meant to be going down to our caravan in Devon to open it up for the season but had text me to say he wasn't going due to his hip. He has been struggling with his hip for ages now, having an operation 5 months ago to try and sort it without a hip replacement but it hasn't worked so he is in a lot of pain all the time. Walking anywhere is painful and even trying to drive 15 minutes down the road was too much so he turned back. He is a lot quieter than normal as it is getting him down as he has always been pretty fit and very mobile. Dad goes to the gym three times a week and always travels with business but he struggles to do it now. He has had to work from home and cancel business meetings abroad in plush hotels with great activities. Only 2 years ago we went on a Dad and daughter trip (something we have done since I was one) to the Peak District where he was beating me up the hills on a bike! (He was always the cyclist). Me, mum and dad would make a good triathlon relay - Me swim, dad bike and mum run (she has always been a good runner) if I had all of the genes maybe I could've been good enough to be an elite! Anyway I was back at my parents to the shock of my Dad by 10am. He had left a note out after he left for the caravan which was lovely. I don't know if he realised it (he will now) but I took it and shall keep it. I know this is a personal blog but this I shall keep to myself. If your reading Dad, I shall try to make you even more proud this June and next June.

  After a hot bath and some relaxing I decided to go home before I fell asleep and left it too late. I didn't like leaving, especially as Dad was home alone (my mum was away with my sister skiing). I was home by 4pm and had a nap on the sofa which was abruptly disturbed when Dan was banging on the door to be let in as I had put all the locks across the front door. I then cooked a lasagne which Dan immediately said tasted out of date (can't get anything past him with his ultra sensitive taste buds) so that was thrown away. With nothing open we decided to get a treat, a Chinese takeaway. We spent and therefore had substantially less than we ever used to and were full. We also had it without an alcoholic drink (unheard of 3 months ago). We were then in bed at 9.30pm only woken at 1.30am to the screams of a drunken woman. What a rock and roll lifestyle we live in now! 

No comments:

Post a Comment