Tuesday 19 March 2013

Reality check and injury worries

  On Sunday night I began to struggle with a sharp pain down the back of my ankle which was more prominent when walking up and down stairs, by Monday I couldn't drive without the pain. I did remember hitting the back of my leg with my pedal when walking to the event registration on Sunday so it could've been that. I was really praying it was just that as an injury in my achilles would put me out of training for a few months and would definitely jeopardise the half-Ironman. I was planning on a bike ride on Monday as I was in high hopes about my cycling after the Duathlon. Dan thought it was too soon to go for a ride and when I told Dan where I was having pain his reply was "that is why you have rest days". So I decided to go swimming but would not waste my day off on Tuesday. It turned out that I started to make my homemade curry too late and we didn't eat until 10pm (woops) so I missed swimming, but at least I had a proper rest day.

  On Tuesday I stepped up the training again. I went on a short 12 mile bike ride at midday which was for me just a test as opposed to endurance training. I found out that the toughest hill incline in Exmoor is 14% and had found a hill 6 miles down the road that was the same. I had tried this hill about 2 months ago with Dan and we both couldn't get to the top. I was going so slow I just fell off! So I was excited to test myself (weird what excites me now). When I made it to the top without walking or slowing down too much I wanted to text Dan and exclaiming I DID IT, but it was too much effort to get my phone out. I had achieved what I wanted and headed off on a detour back home.
The profile of Exmoor half-Ironman
  I then began working out in the shower what times I would need in order to achieve the times I want, sub 7hours overall. (I was writing my maths on the shower screen). I am averaging about 13 miles an hour on the bike which means 55 miles would take me about 4hr15. However I also need to take into account the horrible bike leg in June which climbs 3904ft. I am not going to get my swim much faster that what it is already at 45minutes. So that means I need to get my half marathon run time under 2hours and considering I did 2hr10 in Bath on a flat course with no exercise before it either my ambitions have got to change or my times have got to get faster. The bike is where you can make the time up so I need to get my bike stronger as well as get my run faster. The bike will take a lot practicing my technique making sure I push down with my quads and and pull up with my feet. As well as focussing on technique I also need to focus on my cadence (the number of revolutions of the crank per minute) and my strength up hills and this means only one thing, hill reps. Getting my run quicker can only be achieved with horrible interval training sessions which will also have a positive impact on my bike ability.
  With all this in mind I did a tough leg strength workout with Dan before dinner. I managed to do it all, but struggled with the pain in my achilles when doing jump squads and high knees. I began to get upset and started to worry that it is something more serious than a bruise. I tried to assess whether there was any swelling there, as I had done the day before, hoping there wouldn't be but couldn't really see it myself. It seems to be only when I pull my foot upwards that the sharp pain happens which affects running, walking, jumping and driving. I didn't find it hurting too much when cycling so it didn't hold me back from riding earlier. I also knew it wouldn't affect swimming, in fact it might've helped it so after dinner I headed to the gym. I wanted to do an Ironman distance swim of 2.4miles (160 lengths) but wouldn't have enough time as it is only open for an hour and that would take me about 1hr30. So instead I did the half-Ironman distance of 1.2miles which I did in 41 minutes. It was a reasonably comfortable and slow pace for me, but I just wanted to focus on my new bilateral breathing and my technique. Although I have estimated 45 minutes for Exmoor and my time tonight shows that I could do it quicker it is very different when actually doing an event. When swimming open water in a triathlon I have to factor in the 'washing machine'. This is basically what we call the dash for the front which happens at the start of every triathlon race. It is not uncommon to be hit in the head, swum over, kicked you name it and if your not careful can result in a bad injury meaning you fall at the first hurdle. Sometimes you have to give what you get, or hold back. I always hold back a little but am never hit free and have swum over people before to get my way (it's all part of the fun of triathlon). Despite experiencing this washing machine effect before, I don't know what it'll be like in June particularly as it is probably the biggest event I have been in so it is impossible to estimate the added time it'll take for me to get into a rhythm. As well as that I believe there is a short uphill run to the transition area which will become part of the swim time.
  Another thing I have found difficult is how to judge my swimming. It is unlike running where you can constantly check your watch for your mph. Swimming you just have to go at the pace your comfortable with, or to make you faster uncomfortable with. I know however that unlike the bike where I am constantly questioning myself "is this hurting enough?" that I do not want to use the same tactic on the swim. My swim is of a reasonable pace that will set me above a lot of people (many peoples worse discipline is the swim). Therefore I want to swim comfortably and try to keep my lead on the bike by pushing myself to my maximum.


  Anyway, it is back to work tomorrow and I am expecting a very busy day with the Budget being a major part of the news. So I am going spinning before work and then laying off the cycling. I want fresh legs for Saturday where I am doing a recce of the cycle course in Exmoor (although I am only cycling one lap of the two). I am also going to try and run a lap of the run route.
  I'll probably do my next update after the weekend in Devon, I'm sure it'll be a harrowing reality check of how hard the cycle route is going to be. At least I'm thinking the worst, it can be any worse than that can it?

No comments:

Post a Comment