Tuesday 5 March 2013

Running is a selfish sport

  I can now say that I have completed my first event on my long road to becoming an Ironman. The Bath half-marathon couldn't have gone better.
  So as I said on my last post I had a very busy day on Saturday after a 4 hour recovery sleep from my night shift. The majority of my day was spent at the Triathlon Show in Sandown. The show was a triathlons dream, with hundreds of stalls filled with wetsuits, trisuits, nutrition, trainers, bikes...the list goes on. I had 3 things that I was looking out for specifically as I considered these the most urgently needed. I only ended up getting 1 of these. A 2-piece trisuit was my top priority so I decided to start with that. A trisuit is basically a swimming costume with shorts that you wear under your wetsuit and throughout the triathlon meaning no unnecessary extra minutes changing in transition. (It is also instant disqualification if you get naked during an event in transition). So basically I was trying to find a comfortable short-top combination. I normally dislike wearing shorts and top when exercising especially in a race as I want my main focus to be on competing and not pulling my shorts and top around to make it comfortable. However, it has been recommended on many forums that when doing a long-distance triathlon a trisuit poses all sorts of problems when the inevitable happens and I need the toilet.
  Many brands decide to release their 2013 kit at these events as well as sell old 2012 gear at sale price. So as my favourite brand 2XU hadn't released anything for a long time I was eagerly awaiting their 2013 clothing. I have to say I was bitterly disappointed. The trisuits looked like a 70's skiers dream. I was annoyed that they opted for a more colourful scheme as opposed to their minimalistic design before. Their compression gear is known as one of the best in the industry and this just did not sell the brand to me at all. I found the 2012 compression trisuit I had been after last year in the sale but it was the wrong size. (I have been trying to track one down for ages but due to the new kit being launched it had been discontinued and as it was so popular stock had dwindled almost immediately). The only trisuit I liked the look of at the show was from Speedo, but it was only a cheap beginners suit and had no added benefits such as compression or the support any woman needs.
The 2XU trisuit I have decided I like
  After looking online at 2XU's 2013 collection there is one I like which does not have the bright pastel pinks, greens and blue all over it. I have also decided after running in my trisuit yesterday I am going to stick to a full all in one trisuit as I love the flexibility of them. They don't need any assistance, don't ride up, and in all honesty I don't take that long getting it off. I would be naked if I had to get it off to pee when during a race, but will I care during an Ironman? I believe I won't and I highly doubt anyone would have any interest in looking. The only other trisuit I really considered was a leopard print one. For everyone that knows me you shouldn't be suprised by this! I even saw a leaflet with a picture of such trisuits, but for the sake of Dan, my parents and any of my spectators I decided to not pick it up.

  My second most needed item was a transition/training bag. Basically a bag that can hold all of my kit when training and at an event. This can amount to quite a bit of kit. Wetsuit, trisuit, cycling trainers, running trainers, goggles, swim hats (I always use 2), nutrition etc. The only bag that was on offer was a TYR training bag which I liked but wanted to see some competition. I ended up getting one through 220 Triathlon magazine as I finally subscribed to the magazine and when doing so got a free Hubb transition bag (the cost of the bag was worth a lot more).
  The third bit of kit I needed was new trainers. I love looking at new trainers and trying to understand the technology of what makes them the best. I spent the best part of last year researching and decided I wanted some 'Newton' trainers. These aid natural running and like all my previous trainers come in a bright colour scheme. I have always been a loyal 'Asics' customer because they offer extra support on the arch of the shoe to over-pronators like me. I basically roll inwards severely when running, even walking, which explains why I get knee problems. I also have to wear custom orthotics to try and support my feet so they are pushed to a natural straight position as opposed to collapsing inwards. Anyway, after realising I'm not and never will be a natural and neutral runner I steered away from 'Newton' trainers and towards 'Cloudrunners'. These trainers were reviewed on 'The Gadget Show' over a year ago and had a hefty price tag to go with them (the price has come down considerably). The idea of these trainers is to dramatically reduce the impact you put through your body when running and have the feel of running on clouds. This is achieved by having what I can only describe as 'bubbles' underneath the sole of the trainer (the picture will help). After being assessed for the right pair I tried them out by having a little jog around the show. I instantly decided these were the new trainers for me. I have wrongly been running flat-footed for years putting extra impact through my joints and wasting energy by doing so. These trainers felt like they were aiding me to running heel-to-toe and rolling which is what I have been painstakingly trying to teach myself to do naturally.

My new trainers - 'Cloudrunners'
  As well as trainers, a free bag and subscription to the 220 Triathlon magazine I managed to just about meet and get a signature from Chrissie Wellington as she was leaving for an interview. Thankfully her agent took pity on me standing at the end of the line clutching her book that he asked if she could squeeze me in. She was in a rush and the signature isn't anything special or personal but I got it. We left for my parents at 4.30 after grabbing some 'High5' nutrition boxes for £5 from £20 and I got some new swimming goggles which are so clever. The technology behind them is amazing. I only have mirrored googles which is perfect for when swimming outside in daytime as it reduces any glare. However, they aren't very practical when swimming outside at night as I cannot see a lot, therefore I needed some clear ones. After only finding one pair of googles I liked enough to never lose I wanted the same style as my mirrored ones but with clear lenses. The ones I ended up getting automatically change their lense colour depending on what conditions your swimming in. If your outside in daylight they become mirrored, if outside and dark they'll be clear. In theory you will only need one pair of goggles, but I don't know if I can let my other ones go just yet.

  So after some rambling I shall talk about the main event of the weekend, the Bath half marathon. After staying with my parents on Saturday night and having my favourite seafood carb loading pasta I went to bed early. I had some weetabix and banana in the morning and was on the way to Bath at 8am (I made Dan drive). It was only then that I began to get the tingling in my stomach that I get before any event; nerves. However, I wasn't worried about the race at all, I knew I could do it and Dan calmed the feeling away with his wise words, "It is not a race so you don't need to be nervous, just stick to your own pace". I had said to everyone who asked I was aiming for 2hr20. It isn't a particularly fast time, rather average really at 11minute miles. It is so easy to get caught up in the moment when doing an event, running off to fast and then feeling it a few miles in by which point it is hard to keep up any pace. As per usual I made it a rush to the start line. I was priding myself on how early and prepared I was at 10am when we were sat down enjoying a preliminary coffee. However, I had jinxed it. I realised I had dropped my head band which I desperately needed to not have hair going in my face and had forgotten safety pins to pin my number on my t-shirt. So we waited for H&M to open so I could get a head band, found one and was told that due to trading laws I couldn't buy anything untill 11am (when I should be across the line). What is the point of opening at 10.30 then?! So I had to hope the runners village had some. So I started the long walk to the runners village. I then needed to toilet, and sorry for the lack of dignity here, but anyone who has done an event will understand the NEED for a nervous shit 30minutes prior to an event start. So with 10minutes until I was meant to be starting I rushed to the toilet, a lovely portaloo, managed to steal some cellotape to stick my number on with, and scouted the place with no luck to find a head band. I even managed to pose for a picture! I have now decided my events would not be the same without a stressed start. Although I think it makes Dan just as stressed as it does me, but at least it makes the time go quick!


Contrary to what it looks like I am not scratching my boob
  I headed off to the orange start line, obvious from the colour of my number, and Dan headed off towards the spectator area. I had no idea where I was meant to looking out for him, but knew he would shout if he saw me. The walk to the actual start line was 20 minutes, so I crossed the line at 11.15am. I soon realised that I had been put in the wrong wave as I was overtaking every person infront of me. I first thought I was yet again getting caught up in the moment and running off too fast, but it was evident after half a mile I wasn't as people were walking. I didn't stop overtaking people throughout the whole race and although it was motivational for the first 5 miles it began to get annoying. The route was a 2 lap event, so the elite and good for age runners were overtaking us on the right. The road was split into two lanes, but the congestion of the 'normal' runners meant it was overflowing onto the elite's side. I had to do some annoying quick dashes past the slower runners, doing mirror checks every time to not ruin the faster runners race. I also had to do some undertaking. I think there should be a motorway lane system in these circumstances. (I also think this should be the case on Oxford Street and any shopping malls, the browsers stay on the left and then the pace gets faster the farther right you go). With 13,000 runners in such a small space it was difficult and I know without this I would've been able to do a quicker time by 5minutes at least. I begrudge people who overestimate the time they can do it in as this messes up the wave times and affects people like me when competing. However this is unavoidable in any event as many people when signing up for an event are unrealistic with the time they will complete in and as Dan said there will always be people who just do not train and on race day try and struggle through it.
  I had grabbed a time split bracelet before starting with the finish time of 2hr20 on it so I could assess how I was going at every mile. I had also set my Garmin watch to having time split of 5minutes for every km. This was faster than I was expecting to run but wanted to be inbetween 5-6 so went for the lower with the mindset I have some slack if need be. This turned out to be a perfect ploy as at the end of the race my average speed was 5.30m per km.
  I don't know whether it was the overtaking going to my head but I was 2 minutes ahead of my time split for the first mile, so decided to try and slow it down by the second. By then I was 2.30m ahead, so I decided to carry on as I was comfortable. Every mile I was knocking seconds off. By 5 miles I was 7 minutes ahead of my 2hr20 time splits and by 7 miles was 10 minutes ahead! At mile 10 I was getting restless but plodded along. I had taken 2 energy gels on throughout the race, one before starting and one at mile 7. I also had some sips of Lucozade when it was offered twice on the course. I now know that my body doesn't struggle with gels as some can and will definitely up the amount I take next time as I didn't enjoy the slump in energy. I also saw Dan just after 6 miles where he took a charming picture. He was also at mile 2 but I couldn't see him and looked like a lost dog trying to find the direction that I heard his voice come from.

Six miles in and going strong, I even break into a massive smile

  I managed to keep 10 minutes ahead of my 2hr20 time splits and sprinted across the line with Bruno Mars' Lazy Song in my ears in 2hr10. I always sprint to the finish of an event, it has been something I was always taught to do by my mum. I even do it on my training runs. At the end of the London Marathon in 2010 I remember hearing the tannoy say "We have a sprinter" and then calling my name out to everyone, so it is a nice way of getting some attention. The only bad thing is that you have to stop immediately after crossing the line or you'll whack into someone, which is no good for the joints. Anyway, I was really pleased with my time, a whole 1h20 quicker than my injured and unfit attempt at Reading in 2011! My pace was consistent and I believe I can stick to it even after a 1.2m swim and 55m bike so I shall be aiming for nothing less than 2h20 in the half Ironman. It also means I'm on track for a 4h20 marathon in April as although I was pleased to finish my pacing was perfect and with some more interval training I believe I could even pick the pace up.
Post half marathon (The angle makes my legs look funny)
  I finally caught up with Dan after he had his own special tour of Bath and we headed back to the hotel (which was up a horrible hill). He had seen Radio 1's DJ Greg James come in 4 minutes before me. I was gutted as I wanted to either see him or beat him. Both of which I think I could've done had I not been in the wrong wave. Dan took a post race photo of me when we got back to the hotel (excuse the weird angle we were on a massive slope).


  I had a quick shower and we headed back down the hill for something to eat.
Celebratory hot dog in Bath centre (any chance to sit d


My legs were aching already, which was frustrating me as I had done 10miles in training and didn't have such severe pain walking up and down stairs. I put it down to the fact that I couldn't stretch my quads properly straight after the race as every time I tried I got really bad cramp. Dan said I had DOMS (Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness) although there was no delay in my soreness. We had decided to have an early dinner and head back to the hotel and relax, but we ended up going to a bar called 'Graze' that overlooks the town and having a rewarding glass of wine (or 2) and then eating dinner there at 7pm. This also seemed to be a hotspot for many of the marathon competitors. I was lucky that Graze happened to be my favourite type of restaurant, a Steakhouse. We shared a lovely bottle of Malbec and we both had a 10oz Ribeye which I had with bone marrow gravy and chips. I was in heaven and had no guilt about my pig out. After the meal I stumbled up the hill to the hotel (I'm not sure whether it was the wine or my muscles that made me walk worse).
  We sadly had to say goodbye to Bath on Monday following a cultured day at the Roman Baths. We had those electronic tour handsets and listened intently to the explanation of every object and room. After seeing my parents quickly and getting the bike rack from there in preparation for my next event in 2 weeks, the Winchester Duathlon, we finally got home at 10pm.
  So all in all a great weekend. You may never see my write this again, but I actually enjoyed running! So much so, even though I am still aching, I am going to go for a run today (this could also be because I want to try out my new trainers). The only negative I have against running is that it is a selfish sport. I say this mainly because in triathlons there is a sense of camaraderie, I say well done to almost everyone I pass especially when you reach the run, yet when I did so on Sunday I just got a glare. People seem to think I'm mad or think I'm trying to rub it in that I am overtaking them. I'm just trying to be nice! Although I did have a positive effect on one woman who at the last hill with about 800m to go started walking. I ran past, slowed down myself, shouted well done you can do it, just the last push and she began running again. However, even though I moved her on when she had given up I was selfish enough to not slow down anymore and carried on at my own pace to complete it by myself. Everyone when racing or training has their own goals, their own tactics and most importantly their own pace. I was selfish when I was under and overtaking people for example. Even people who have regular training partners are separate runners. There will always be someone who is slightly faster meaning one is struggling and there will always be a difference in a runner come race day. Some people may find they can push more on race day meaning the other may be left or feeling demotivated which could mean they never want to participate in a race again. I also think with any event it is like Marmite, you either love it or hate it. Many may cross the line and actually mean it when they say never again, however, people like me think that but within an hour are thinking of the next event. I get a massive high from the endorphins of finishing a race and crave more. For others they don't get this and just train for their own benefit. I personally cannot see this persons point of view just as they may not be able to understand mine. (My good friend Yuliya is doing a PhD in neurological science and I would love her to do research into this, I'll happily be the guinea pig!). Therefore, running, in my opinion, due to the personal style every individual has is a selfish sport and as a lone ranger runner I wouldn't want it any other way.

No comments:

Post a Comment