Friday 1 March 2013

A busy weekend and some soppyness

  Well due to the length of my last post I obviously have a lot to say and considering the amount I'm doing this weekend I'll start early as opposed to having a mass update afterwards.
  I am currently on a night shift which will finish at 7am tomorrow (Saturday) and from then on the day is going to be very busy. After arriving home around 8am I shall sleep for about 4 hous until midday then straight in to shower and head off to Sandown race course for a Triathlon Show. Now I may seem mad for distburbing my much needed sleep, especially with an event on the Sunday but I am desperate to go! I was worried that Dan may be annoyed when I suggested it but thankfully he was up for the idea as he can also look at the array of cycle and run gear they will have there. The Triathlon Show has a vast amount of displays showing the lastest kit as well as workshops, activities and seminars. One of the seminars I am desperate to see, which Dan for some reason thinks is sad, is Four-time Ironman world champion, Chrissie Wellington. She has recently retired, doing what many elite athletes struggle to do, bow out when they are at their peak and still winning. I would also love to get her book signed (will need to stop off at a book shop to buy a hard copy as currently only have it on my Kindle). So as well as trying to track down an elite Ironman I also want to have a look at all the goodies that are on offer at the show. As I have mentioned before there are still many things I NEED for my Ironman. Although I do not have the funds to get everything tomorrow, it will be a good time to test the competition and find the best for me such as a 2 piece tri-suit, a transition bag and trainers. There are many other things but these are the biggest expense and the most needed. I have always been loyal to the brand 2XU but will be a perfect customer to target tomorrow as I will go in there with open eyes and try not to be a brand loyal snob (they will have to have some good tactics and have some eye catching kit for me to change though).
  Of course with the nature of triathlon there is SO much kit you can inundate yourself with so as well as looking at the things I need it will be great to have a wishful look at the £2,000-£15,000 carbon bikes and more triathlon tech than anyone will ever need.
  So, after having a good look around the stalls and hopefully hearing and meeting Chrissie Wellngton we will probably leave when it closes around 5pm (I want to get my £9 entry fee moneys worth especially seeing as I will miss the morning). After that I am going back to my parents for the night before getting up early to travel to Bath for the half marahon on the Sunday morning. Due to the popularity of the event the cost of staying on the Saturday night was too expensive so I was thankful that unlike some events where the start time is really early, Bath is a rather approachable 11am. I am really looking forward to my busy day, topped off with seeing my parents that I haven't seen in what seems like ages! I will also pop in and see my sister and nieces and nephew as they live in the same village before having a carb loaded pasta meal and flopping to sleep in preparation for Sunday. (I also have to mention I am SO excited to see my dog Harry!). I also hope to see my brother, sister-in-law and niece when I make my way home. (I am the only one from the family who has flown over an hour from the nest, both my brother and sister are 10minutes away from one another).

My triathlon spectating rock and I

  As you may have guessed Dan is coming with me to spectate the Bath half marathon, as he does so many of my events. I am always so grateful that he does this as even during the small sprint triathlons it is great to have a friendly face to cheer you on and I relish looking out for him along the route. As well as that being a personal trainer he pushes me, tells me I'm going too slow in transition, timing how long I'm taking. I suppose you may call it tough love but it is encouraging when he knows when I'm not performing upto scratch and he knows when to turn that off if I am struggling and just need some real support. So for this Dan is my triathlon spectating rock and don't know if I could do it without him. I also think it must be pretty boring watching someone do an event so if you do ever read one of my blogs Dan I hope it is this one and thank you for your patience and motivation. On this note you could imagine how distraught I was when I found that that Dan wasn't going to be able to make it to my main event this year, the half Ironman due to a firefighter training course he just cannot miss. In the reality it is his careeer and my hobbie that put everything into perspective but I could not hide my dissappointment. I know I need to get used to not having him there at every corner as he won't be in a long distance triathlon therefore I would not have minded had it been any other event throughout the year. However, I then asked my mum if she would support me so I have a familiar face when the mental effetcts of doing a long distance triathlon kicks in. After some persuasian and proving I would be fit enough she agreed and I hope to spend the week after in Devon at the caravan my parents own with my Mum and Dad as a recovery holiday, which will be lovely. All I ever want, as many childern want, is for their parents to be proud of them, and although I will never be an elite athlete I hope that putting my mind and body through such an event will make them proud of me, even if I do stumble over the line.


My parents and I


 (As a further note, Dan is now able to come in June but only for the event, we won't be able to chill out together after. It is a long way for him to travel alone but I am so relieved as having him on site with me the night before to calm my nerves and helping me rack up will be a bonus I thought I wasn't going to have and having him there on race day is obviously what I need. It will be great, I will now have my parents and Dan there! I have got a win win situation as it means I will have more faces in different places, all I need to do is complete my side of the bargain and cross the finish line in time!).

 

So, I will give the next update after I return from Bath. Although we couldn't justify staying on the Saturday night we are staying on the Sunday night as the rates are almost half the price as the night before. With the Monday off work we can then enjoy a city we have always wanted to see. (I actually want to visit the Roman Baths and take it all in properly as I can't remember anything from when I was compelled to go on a school trip). Here's hoping the weekend goes smoothly with no more illnes, injury or overtiredness.

No comments:

Post a Comment