Wednesday 29 January 2014

The athlete writing is coached by Ironmate, Mark Kleanthous

 Well this blog has been a long time coming now and I've been eager to write up my day with my new coach Mark Kleanthous. For some who may have been waiting for some secrets from such an experienced Ironman and coach I'm not going to reveal them, not them all anyway (we would be here all day). I may not be at a high level on the athlete scale but I still have competition in what I aim to achieve so need to keep them as my personal gains over others. Furthermore, what Mark tells me is personal to me as an individual and as an athlete. My training plans and tips are personal to my ability and my goals, so someone else may not even benefit from them. That said I'm sure there are some things many would benefit from, but that is the joy of having a coach, particularly one so experienced. I also don't think Mark would be too pleased with me if I went around shouting his tips from the rooftops. However, I'm sure there is some things you can take from this blog as this is the real start on my journey to Kona.
 Well I met Mark on Friday (24th). The night before I went swimming at the outdoor pool straight from work, again with no wetsuit (it was bloody freezing that night). However, despite my reluctance when I arrived due to being shattered I thoroughly enjoyed my swim. My new technique change had meant I didn't struggle as much as I usually did. The week before I struggled to even keep up, just lagging at the back (I always found the open water pool harder to swim in, as if I was swimming in lead). But that night I managed to keep the pace and was on the toes of the woman I couldn't keep up with last week. There were 4 of us in the lane but only me and another alternating which made it an even tougher session which in the end made it even more satisfying. It is so exciting seeing my swim improving - so much so I have now bought some more training aids. I bought some paddles that I put on my hands which makes emphases how to enter the water and how to pull through the water. I also finally invested in some flippers. I know my kick is strong, when doing drills I am able to sometimes catch people who have flippers on even when I do not have them on. However, when I try and combine this with full stroke I lose it (so much for women being able to multi-task). I also know many say that triathletes do not need to focus on the kick when in the swim so to preserve the legs for the cycle and run - but I'm trying to get to another level of athlete now. I'm hoping with the flippers and the notion of using them will make it natural for me to be able to kick hard when doing full stroke. Anyway, after another hard and motivating swim session that week it was straight to bed ready for an early turbo session with Jane before driving to see Mark.
 The two hour turbo session Jane and I did on Friday morning was hell but all the same a relief when it was over. Due to my increased activity on various bikes I had a serious case of saddle soreness which felt like a monstrous bruise all around my sensitive areas so not only was I physically done in my derriere was feeling rather sorry for itself too. However, there was no rest for the wicked and after a quick change and deodorant spray I was on the way to Milton Keynes to meet Mark. I ate some pasta I had made as some fuel for the hours ahead.
 The day with Mark was more of an analysis of me, my technique and ability. Mark knew my time splits from Wales so can analyse me that way but there is nothing better than seeing the real thing and finding out technically where the results and gains can be made. Our first official meet began with a loud and welcoming Hello, hug and kiss on the cheek. I knew from this moment I had made the right decision in my coach. I also met Mark's wife, Clare which was also lovely. After our greetings it was time to pay attention - I was told that when one guy met Mark for the first time he counted 75 new things he learned! First thing we did was get my embarrassingly dirty bike oiled up. After that it was out for a steady 12 mile ride to assess my cycling style. Within the first 5 minutes I was learning. I wasn't saying a lot (as Mark will agree with) but I was just listening, grunting that I acknowledged what I was hearing, taking it in and then trying to put it into affect. I learnt to ankle roll, attempted to take water and fuel the 'proper' and efficient way and concentrated on focussing my energy through the legs. I also found a new position to hold myself on the bike to make it more comfortable and aero when on long rides (especially as I don't have tri bars).
Mark showing his multi-skilling by riding and taking a picture
These are just a few of the many things did in that 45 minutes that seemed to fly by. However, the most important change I learnt was pretty basic - the technique of how I ride. I found that that 'elusive' and what I used to consider pro athlete technical term, cadence, is not so scary and this is what I need to improve on more than anything. I normally ride my bike with the gears high as if I am doing a strengthening session all the time as I associated feeling the resistance as the productive way to ride. However, what I need to be doing is lowering the gears and increasing the cadence (the number of revolutions of the crank per minute). It is a basic change which will make me more efficient and not sap my energy. I liked to feel the bite in resistance, comparing being out on the road to being in a spin bike session. This comparison is also evident when I stand up when cycling uphill. Dan had told me this before but I cycle standing up as if I am hovering which if you have ever tried it is a killer on the thighs. Again, this is great for strengthening but not for speed. On top of that there is still a lot of work to be done to make me gain more confidence on the bike in general, especially as I still am not confident going downhill something I definitely need to work on for the descents in Lanzarote. However, although I have made this to sound like everything was wrong, I did do a lot right and Mark reassured me that he has seen worse and I did really well. I look comfortable on the bike and am prepared to change, listen and adapt. Also on another positive note, as there is a lot to work on it means there is more to improve on which means more time cut off. There were other suggestions such as getting some tri bars to cut off some extra time off when in Lanzarote and getting a better saddle to improve my positioning and comfort on the bike. I also decided I wanted to get new pedals on my bike as although I got new ones when getting my bike in July I am not as happy with them as I was my previous brand 'Time'. Unfortunately pedals, a good saddle and lightweight tri bars are not as cheap as swim paddles and flippers (they came to the grand total of £20) but it'll have to come in time.
The athlete in front is coached by Ironmate Mark
 So after the bike it was time to assess my run. I was really worried about this. My run is my weakest discipline and as I have never considered myself a runner (despite the numerous run achievements) and thought I lacked the technique that would make me a runner. Mark almost instantly reassured me about my run technique, saying I was light on my feet which meant that there was little friction between me and the ground (something Mark says has taken him 30 years to perfect). I have tried hard in the last year to make myself roll from ankle to toe as opposed to landing flat footed and this was a sure sign of my progress so I was happy with myself. (If i had still be landing with a flat feet it would've sounded like elephants had arrived). I was also told I had a technique that is ready for the 'Ironman shuffle'. This is basically small steps, not strides, but at a high cadence (that word again) and this is the main thing I need to aim towards on my run. I have never had a big run stride and it put me at ease that I didn't need to try and make myself have one. Mark also explained some other techniques I should take on board relating to how my arms should be used as a power weapon but not remain too rigid or to swing around my body and explaining the consequences of doing such things. (I tried all these new lessons out the day after at a tough 10k Chiltern Tri hill rep run session).

 Mark also assessed the biomechanics of my run style by getting me to run along the white lines in the middle of the road. He did notice that my left knee swings out but I explained I think this is a technique I have adapted myself in order to try and avoid my ITB injury recurring. The logic was to land further to the outside of my foot so that my foot could not over-pronate inwards as I do not want let my knee to bend inwards. However, it although not ideal biomechanically it does not pose any real issue and if it is a mechanism to stop me from getting injured it cannot be a bad thing.
 After our 2 mile run we then sat and spoke about my events, aims, goals, nutrition and general Ironman and triathlon chit chat for hours. In there you can imagine I got plenty of other tips so if you think I gave away some personal tips in this blog then I can assure you don't even know the half of it! I even got an Ironmate hat and keyring and was officially welcomed into Ironmate coaching.
 Mark also wanted to take a picture of me with his book which has now made it to the third edition (I better get mine signed now!). Mark is so enthusiastic and dedicated in seeing me personally succeed and understands the reasonings as to why I want to achieve them. He also believes in me and after a tough few weeks feeling increasingly insecure and daunted of what I have set out to achieve I feel such a huge sense of relief that a professional believes I am not being stupid and can make it. What is even more satisfying is he thinks I can qualify this year in Wales!

Mark's triathlon book - which has sold to the thousands
 I left feeling enthusiastic and excited for my new partnership with Mark. I couldn't be happier to have such a knowledgable, understanding and enthusiastic coach by my side. Here is to 2014! I'm so thankful already. I'm excited about the next journey in my life and I finally truly believe in myself that I can make it, so bring it on! #Hollie4Kona!

Slightly close especially after 4 hours of exercise but my new hat which I wore on my run the following morning



No comments:

Post a Comment