Tuesday 26 August 2014

The race is long and, in the end, it's only with yourself

 It has always been pretty evident that running is my weakest discipline of the three within triathlon. I am not built to be a runner, always get injuries and classically blame my technique (something after talking to my coach I refuse to do now). I however will still not call myself  a runner despite completing numerous events and 6 marathons. I refer to myself as a plodder. I have never really had a 'race pace' (a term many athletes use) - I just run at a pace at which I can run, simple as. As for my heart rate well that is just high regardless of what 'pace' I am doing. However, I think I am finally starting to 'get' this running lark and starting to be able to understand race pace and how to tactfully use it depending in the distance.  I may even, dare I say it, be enjoying running, especially the improvements I am seeing.

Pre Thames 10k with my sister
 These improvements started when I did the Thames 10k on the 30th July. It is pretty evident I have done hundreds of events but even though I have done many Olympic distance triathlons which finish with a 10k run I had never done a stand alone 10k run event. A first for everything! I had however done many 10k's in training. Even 6 months ago I would be lucky to go under the hour for a 10k - in fact I think all of my 10k's to this date had all been around 59minutes. I had high expectations however, whilst being realistic. I wanted a sub 55 minute 10k - not amazing to some but a big feat for me to achieve. I was doing this event with my sister and friend Lee. We started at 7pm in an idyllic field in Hampshire on a perfect summers evening. I knew not to go off too fast - 10k is that funny distance where it's not short enough to sprint but long enough to hurt. I did however push it a little to begin with to get some space, getting some was easier said than done. However with my space found and after 2km's of pushing 4m30 per kilometre I knew to slow the pace down. The course was off road and the long grass and uneven ground made it really really tough, I knew this was going to play a part on my overall time. I used people as markers and enjoyed the run - keeping my pace consistent and not letting it go beyond 5m30 per km. I had a bit around 6km where I felt very sick - on the verge of puking, however I pushed on through. With 1km to go I pushed the pace again and overtook some of the people who started to falter or who didn't have anything left in the bank (the upside of being an endurance athlete is you normally have something more to give than most). I sprinted to the finish in 53m48secs. It was an official PB as this was my first 10k event and was a huge wow moment for me. This truly showed how far I had come - maybe I even looked like a runner? 10k is not my distance at all even if I do hope that when I am done with Ironman, if that ever happens, I plan to focus on Olympic distance triathlons. I do hope with my improvements in running to get a 50 minute 10k in the near future.

Ready to race
 My second recorded PB was for a 5k. I again have never done a 5km race. This idea came about when visiting Sam, my partner in crime from Lanzarote, at her house in Brighton on the 8th August. This weekend was the start of my channel swim window but as my previous blog explains I didn't get the call. On the Friday night when I heard the news I wasn't going to Dover in the morning a night of drinking commenced. Somehow we were both wide awake feeling fresh at 7.45am so we decided to go and do Bognor's Park run at 9am.
Action shot
 I don't know why I had the intention of doing 25 minutes but it was a goal I wanted to achieve one day. I had never trained for a 5km but read somewhere, I believe on Smoker2Ironman's blog that he read on Runners World when you hit 25 minutes for a 5km that makes you a runner. I actually don't believe this, but it stuck in my memory and I did spend a few sessions after reading it on the treadmill trying to achieve it to no avail - it was too hard for me and I moved on. Why I chose this morning to do it I don't know, I didn't even know I would be able to especially after a skinful of wine and vodka and minimal sleep! The gun went off and off we went. I got into 4m44 km's and forced myself to not go above 5m10 even when I had my inevitable sick patch around 3km. I ran to the finish in a time of 24m05. Again, wow! We went back feeling great, Sam came in 25 seconds after me and clocked a PB too. We ended up walking another 10km around Brighton being tourists (yes Sam was a geek and wore her Garmin all day - it all counts!). We had a photo at every cut out along the pier, had a dress up session at FlashBack photography, ate a picnic on the pier and then went out afterwards (in matching T-shirts that got SO much attention). It was a great weekend seeing a friend for life.


PB smiles
Dress up
Like a Boss!
 The next improvement was this weekend whereby I recorded another 5km PB at Andover's Park run with my 2 best friends. However, the biggest improvement of this weekend was the Challenge Aquathlon I competed in on the Sunday. This was organised by my old Tri club in the Chilterns so knew many of the competitors and had competed in it the year before. It would be a great way to get me competing in a multi-sport event pre Ironman Wales and to get a real indication of my progress within a year. Thankfully it was an afternoon start, as after a party on the Saturday I would've not been able to compete. My sister came with me to support and we had a Wagamama before arriving late (as per) to the event with literally 15 minutes before the start. The event was an 800m swim (31 lengths in the open water pool) and then a 10k hilly off road run. I began the swim feeling strong. The plan was to just push it as much as I could for the whole 31 lengths - I would worry about the run when I got out. I felt sick after 10 lengths but didn't slow down because I was using Dave in the next lane to me, who always swam in the faster lane in training, as my pace maker. We were swimming at an identical pace and even though it was a push to keep it up I was being a determined bitch not to lose him. I came out seconds in front in a time of 14m24. Trainers on in quick speed and I was the first out of us on the run.

Too happy?
The run was a 4 lap challenging course through the woods. I wanted a 55 minute run and considering the terrain and course that was me being slightly optimistic. Dave came past me after 3 minutes but I gave it my best shot - he was a natural runner. I ran past a woman as I ran out of the swim but she overtook me going uphill shortly after. My aim from then on was to keep her in my sights - I had 3 laps to sort it out and get back past her. Within 2 laps I had done this and I kept ahead after that - I used the thought of her chasing me as my reasons to keep pushing harder. This was a great course to play Wales tactics - tough uphill, rewarding down to make up the time lost climbing and then a flat to enjoy and get the pace going again. I did however manage to fall over three times during the run. The third time really worried me as I went completely over on my ankle - the pain making me scream out loud, but the stubborness in me meant I could not stop - I was being chased afterall! I finished the run in 55m39 - I was ecstatic. My overall time was 1h10. My elation was finished with me coming third woman - a mere 3 minutes behind the winner! I travelled home with my sister and grabbed a bottle of Prosecco on the way - any excuse!

Any excuse to celebrate - I am wearing compression so it's recovery right?

One to start the collection hopefully
 I then analysed my time from last year. Swim time 16m11 compared to 14m24 this year and a shocking 1h06 compared to 55m39 this year. That is an overall improvement of nearly 13 minutes within a year which is a huge margin considering the small distance of the disciplines. Being able to assess myself like this is great  and makes all my sacrifices worth it. It also reminds me of a great quote "Don't waste your time on jealousy. Sometimes you're ahead, sometimes you're behind. The race is long and, in the end it's only with yourself". I have bettered my times in a year, I wasn't trying to beat anyone else - it was my own private venture. I have to admit a little pride in this result. I am doing what I do for Rosie but these results make me realise I have not lost my passion to better myself. This improvement is the best bit of motivation I could've received with a mere 3 weeks to the big one - Ironman Wales.



 So the countdown has begun - it is now under 3 weeks and a mere 20 days until Ironman Wales. I am being asked am I ready and I feel as ready as I ever will be. I am also going to Lanzarote on Thursday for 10 days. This means I can get some last minute motivational bike miles under my belt, sort some contacts out for my move and taper in the sun. I actually plan to come back with a holiday makers tan as opposed to the cyclist lines I normally get! The other goal is to keep me occupied all the way through to the big day. This is a mental necessity for me. It is fast approaching the year anniversary of Rosie's death, it is scary, horrible and devastating to think I have not heard her voice for that long. I will be back from Lanzarote the day before the date but hope the break helps me get in a good place. So I will update when I return to the UK and in the week of Ironman Wales with some real pre race thoughts. Adios! 

1 comment:

  1. Agree to what Mary Scmich says :-)
    Voted for you Hollie (vote No 2) All the best :-)
    Here is mine:
    http://www.bigblogexchange.org/profile/2014/5686536431468544

    ReplyDelete