Sunday 17 February 2013

Why?

  It is unbeknown to me as to why I and many other aspiring Ironmen would want to put our bodies and minds through such an intense ordeal, but achieving what I and many believe to be impossible is strangely appealing to me and something I HAVE to do in my lifetime.

  I owe much of my inspiration for making the 'impossible' become possible to Andy Holgate, the author of 'Can't Swim, Can't Bike, Can't Run' and 'Can't Sleep, Can't Train, Can't Stop'. I can't explain his story with any justice, but if you have a mind like mine and read it you will instantly want to do something you never thought you could. So thank you IronHolgs for that! Another inspiring story that first introduced me to Ironman is the Hoyt family, the father and son team. Again my writing cannot do this amazing story any justice, but this video can (get a tissue ready) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kt7w8hV90SI. Anything is possible!

  I was never the fastest runner, in fact I still can't say I am a runner. I can do it but I am not the budding enthusiast who chooses to get up at the crack of dawn to feel the intense cold that makes it difficult to breathe to go for a run. I was never the fastest on the athletic track but would happily give any event a go when doing sports day (I remember doing the 1500m one year as I was the only one willing to give it a go). Strange how 1500m at school seemed like an infinity yet it isn't even a mile and I can proudly say I completed 26.2 of them in the London Marathon in 2010, raising nearly £3000 in the process.

  I was never much of a writer either, but yet I am here writing my own blog, in theory being an author. In fact I was always pretty average at everything (except for science and maths, that was just never going to happen for me). The only event in which I could excel and actually beat people was swimming and that is where triathlons became my sport. After doing my first open water swim in the dirty Thames at Victoria Dock in London I was hooked, coming in at a time of 25 minutes. I loved running down the pontoon and battling your way to the front. I had done some open water swimming sessions so was aware how to get your own way when swimming, how to position yourself if you weren't or were confident enough to possibly take a smack for the fight for the front, how to spot so you don't add another mile to your journey and most importantly how to draft. After that event I wanted more and signed up to the Virgin London Sprint Triathlon which I completed in 1hr39, which for a first attempt I was pretty pleased with.

  However, apart from the swim which I have always gained a massive advantage in I am average at the bike, and even worse on the run, therefore seeing all my efforts wasted. So as much fun as it is for me and for anyone to practice what you are best at, I have to do the opposite. This blog is my process to improve my weakest disciplines in triathlon, the bike and run, as well as making sure I do not ignore the swim. Hopefully by September 2014 I can write "I am an Ironman".

  My 'A' race this year is the Exmoor half Ironman on June 16th, which is a feared event in itself, and on the lead up to this I have a half marathon, a full marathon, an 80mile bike ride event, 3 triathlons and 1 duathlon. So lets make it happen...

No comments:

Post a Comment